1) Baptista, F. (2010). O Espaço Rural Declínio da Agricultura. Lisboa:Celta Editora.
2) Beal, G. & Hobbs, D. (1964). The Process of Social Action in Community and Area Development. Ames, Iowa: Cooperative Extension Service-ISU.
3) Berge, E. & van Laerhoven, F. (2011). Governing the Common for Two Decades: A Complex Story. International Journal of the Commons. 5(2) pp. 160-187.
4) Bouwma, I., Van Apeldoorm, R. & Kamphorst, D. (2010). Current Practices in Solving Multiple Use Issues of Natura 2000 Sites: Conflict Management Strategies and Participatory Approaches. Retrieved February 4, 2011 from ec.europa.eu.
5) Cernea, M. (1988). Nongovernmental Organizations and Local Development. World Bank Discussion Paper 40. Washington D.C.: World Bank.
6) Cresswell, J. (1994). Research Design: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
7) Decreto de 24 de Dezembro de 1901 (publicado no Diário do Governo n.º 296, de 31 de Dezembro). (This is a Portuguese government document)
8) Devaux, A., Velasco, C., Bernet, T., Ordinola, M., Pico, H., Graham Thiele, G. & D. Horton, D. (2007). Collective Action for Innovation and Small Farmer Market Access: The Papa Andina Experience. CAPRi Working Paper No. 68 October.
9) Huffman, W. (1974). Decision making: The Role of Education. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 54(1):85-97.
10) Grootaert, C. & Van Basstelaer, T. (2002). Understanding and Measuring Social Capital: A Synthesis of Findings and Recommendations from the Social Capital Initiative. Retrieved 17 February, 2011 from www.worldbank.org.
11) Isaac, S. & Michael, W. (1981). Handbook in Research and Evaluation: A Collection of Principles, Methods, and Strategies Useful in Planning, Design and Evaluation of Studies in Education and Behavioral Sciences (2nd Edition). San Diego, CA:EdITS Publishers.
12) Kang, J. (1984). Interorganizacional Relations between Extension Agencies and Other Agricultural Development Agencies in Asian and Oceania Countries. Doctoral Thesis University of Illinois at Urbana.
13) Koehnen, T. & Baptista, A. (2012). Training Programs for Rural People in Portugal: Some Clues to Improve Non-Formal Education. Journal of Extension Systems. 28(2):17-33.
14) Koehnen, T. (2011). Volunteer Resource Management in Local Development Associations: An International Perspective (Portugal). In Connors (Ed.). The Volunteer Management and Leadership Handbook: Leadership Strategies for Success. 2nd Edition. Wiley & Sons, Inc. Q.1- Q.16.
15) Koehnen, T. (2010) Engagement in Local Development: The Role of Advisory Councils in Governmental and Non-Governmental Organizations. In Bielik (Eds). Economics, Social Policies and Citizenship in the Europe of Regions. Nitra, Slovak University of Agriculture. pp.151-168.
16) Koehnen, T. & Santos, T. (2009) Assessing Volunteer-Based Cultural Organizations in Portugal: What Potential? The International Journal of Volunteer Administration. 26(1):14-22.
17) Koehnen, T. & Cristóvão, A. (2006) Constructing a Social Development Network within a Rural Municipal Government in Portugal. Agricultural Economics Review. 7(1): 26-34.
18) Koehnen, T., Baptista, A. & Portela, J. (2004). Non-Formal Educational Activities for Rural Women: A Case Study Evaluation in Portugal. Journal of Extension Systems. 20(2): 72-88.
19) Koehnen, T., Baptista, A., Silva, V. & Brás, J. (2010) Strengthening Social Capital with Excluded Rural Populations in Portugal. In Darnhofer and Grötzer (Eds). Building Sustainable Rural Futures. The Added Value of System Approaches in Time of Change and Uncertainty. Proceedings of the 9th European IFSA Symposium. July 4-8, 2010. Vienna, Austria. 135-143.
20) Korten, D. (1980) Community Organization and Rural Development: A Learning Process Approach. A Ford Foundation Reprint from Public Administration Review. Washington D.C.:Ford Foundation Media.
21) Mansuri, G. & Rao, V. (2004) Community-Based and –Driven Development: A Critical Review. The World Bank Research Observer. 19 (1): 1-39.
22) McNabb, D. (2004) Research Methods for Political Science: Quantitative and Qualitative Methods. Amonk, NY: MN.E Sharpe.
23) Mosher, A. (1976) Thinking about Rural Development. New York: Agricultural Development Council, Inc.
24) Narayan. D. (1999). Bonds and Bridges: Social Capital and Poverty. Washington D.C.: World Bank.
25) Nkhata, B., Breen, C. & Moismane, A. (2012) Engaging Common Property Theory: Implication for Benefit Sharing Research in Developing Countries. International Journal of the Commons. 6(1): 52-69.
26) Okhuijsen, I. & ten Hove, R. (1995) Communication in Policy Making: A Challenge for Policy Makers. Fourth Report of the Project Communication in Policy Making. Document no. W-72. Wageningen: National Reference Centre for Nature Management.
27) Plummer, J. (2002) Focusing Partnerships: A Sourcebook for Municipal Capacity Building in Public-Private Partnerships. Retrieved from www.earthscan.co.uk.
28) Pretty, J. & Ward, H. (2001) Social Capital and the Environment. World Development. 29(2): 209-227.
29) Rogers, E. & Kinkaid, D. (1981) Communication Networks: Toward a Paradigm for Research. New York: Free Press.
30) Samuelson, P. & Nordhaus, W. (2005) Economia. (18th ed.). (E. Fontainha & J. Gomes, Trans.) Lisboa: McGraw-Hill.
31) Stahl, J. (2011) The Surveyor´s Role in Conflict Solution. Retrieved from www.CPLSinc.com.
32) Start, D. & Hovland, I. (2007) Tools for Policy Impact: A Handbook for Researchers. London: Overseas Development Institute.
33) Uphoff, N. (1992). Learning from Gal Oya: Possibilities for Participatory Development and Post Newtonian Social Science. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press.
34) Webb, E. & Shivakoti, G. (2008) (Ed.) Decentralization, Forests and Rural Communities Policy Outcomes in South and Southeast Asia. India: SAGE Publications India Pvt Ltd.
35) Westholm, E., Moseley, M. & Stenlas, N. (1999) Local Partnerships and Rural Development in Europe. A Literature Review of Practice and Theory. Sweden: Sahlanders Grafiska AB, Falun.
36) Woods, M. & Sloggett, G. (1990) Strategic Planning for Economic Development in Rural Areas and Small Towns of Oklahoma. Oklahoma: OCE Fact Sheet F-859.