Document Type: Regular articles
Former MS Student, Department of Rural Sociology, BAU. Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh
Professor, Department of Agricultural Extension Education, Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh.
Professor (Retired), Department of Rural Sociology, Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh.
Associate Professor, Department of Agricultural Extension Education, Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh.
Socio-economic improvement of rural people especially women is one of the challenges in Bangladesh. While integrated farming system is the potential area of working opportunity of the women to improve their socio-economic conditions. Considering this issue, this paper was to examine the improvement of socio-economic status of women with increased participation in so-called “Integrated Farming Systems (IFS)”. Using a structured interview methodology, 100 women in the REGION involved with IFS practices were surveyed. Descriptive statistics and student’s t-test were used to analyze and interpret the collected data. A significant improvement of different socio-economic indicators like income, food consumption, housing, source of drinking water, sanitation, family asset, education and access to health facilities’ of women have found due to farming system involvement. This improvement may be significantly influenced to reduce the rural poverty and this finding might be good example for another region. Less extension contact by SAAOs of DAE regarding involvement with integrated farming system was the most severe problem while non-cooperation of family members was the least problem of involvement with integrated farming system. These results may provide policy makers and development service providers with important insight, which can be used for sound policy generations for better women’s socioeconomic improvement.
- World Bank. (2012). Data by Country (Bangladesh): World Development Indicators. Available at http://data.worldbank.org/country/ bangladesh and accessed on 20th July, 2013
- BBS. (2009). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Monthly Bulletin of Bangladesh Bureau of statistics Ministry of Planning, Government People‘s Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Agricultural Diary. (2007). Agricultural Information Services. Department of Agricultural Extension, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh. Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Khan, S., Bhatia, K., Khan, M., I. and Pervin, S. (2004). Gender Thematic Review. United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). Dhaka, Bangladesh 1-89.
- Shekh, M. (2003). Microfinance and Social Change: A Case Study of Household Finance, Development and Change in Gender Relations in Bangladesh, PhD thesis, Bradford Centre for International Development, University of Bradford, England
- Parveen, S. (2005). Empowerment of Rural Women in Bangladesh: A household Level Analysis. Germany: Margraf Publishers GmbH, Germany
- Halder, S. R and Mosley, P. (2004). Working with the Ultra-poor: Learning from BRAC Experiences. Journal of International Development 16: 387-406.
- Matin, I., Sulaiman, M., and Rabbani, M. (2008). Crafting a Graduation Pathway for the Ultra Poor: Lessons and Evidence from a BRAC Programme, Chronic Poverty Research Centre Working Paper 109. Dhaka, Bangladesh: BRAC-RED
- Rahaman, S and Halcyan, H. P. A. (2012). Socioeconomic Study on Household Poultry Rearing in Some Selected Areas of Mymensingh District in Bangladesh. International Research Journal of Applied Life Science, 1: 27 – 35.
- FAO. (2011). The role of the women in agriculture. ESA working paper.Agricultural Development Economic Division, The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome, Italy, Available at http://www.fao.org/docrep/013/am307e/am307e00.pdf.
- Uddin, M. M. M. (2015). Causal Relationship between Agriculture, Industry and Services Sector for GDP Growth in Bangladesh: An Econometric Investigation, Journal of Poverty, Investment and Development, 8: 124-129.
- Uddin, M. N. (2009). Knowledge of Women in Activities Related to Farming System in Agrarian Community of Bangladesh. Bulletin of Institute of Vocational and Technical Education, 6: 93-100.
- Mamun, S. A., Nusrat, F and Mamta, R. D. (2011). Integrated Farming System: Prospects in Bangladesh. Journal of Environmental. Science & Natural Resources, 4: 127-136.
- Ahmed, N and Garnett, S. T. (2011). Integrated rice-fish farming in Bangladesh: meeting the challenges of food security. Food Science 3:81-92.
- Sheheli , S. (2011). Improving Livelihood of Rural Women through Income Generating Activities in Bangladesh. PhD Thesis Humboldt University of Berlin (HUB), Berlin, Germany.
- Alam, M. S and Islam, M. A. (2013). Long-term Assessment of Rice Production Scenario in Bangladesh: a Macro Dynamics. Bangladesh Journal of Agriculture Research, 38: 257-269.
- BBS. (2016). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Statistical Year Book of Bangladesh, Statistics Division, Ministry of Planning, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka,
- World Bank. (2000). Bang1adesh: A Proposed Rural Development Strategy, the University Press Ltd., Dhaka
- Khan, M. A. H., Ali, M.Y., Quayum, M.A., Nazrul, M.I., and Hosain, M. J. (2009). Year Round Homestead Vegetable Production: A Means of Reducing Poverty and Nutritional Deficiency for Small Farm, Bangladesh. Journal of. Agriculture Research 34: 169-174.
- Ali, M.Y., Ahmed, M.M., and Islam, M.B. (2008). Homestead Vegetable Gardening: Meeting the Need of Year Round Vegetable Requirement of Farm Family. Paper presented in the National Workshop on Multiple Cropping held at Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council, Farmgate, Dhaka-1215, Bangladesh
- HKI. (2008). Helen Keller International, Bangladesh Homestead Food Production - Improving Nutrition and Food Security and Empowering Women in the Rural Barisal Division of Bangladesh. Homestead Food Production Program Bulletin No. 5. New York: Helen Keller Worldwide
- Millat-E-Mustafa, M., Khan N. A., Osman, H. A. K., and Shamsuzzaman, S. M. (2000). Research on Home Gardens in Bangladesh: Present Status and Properties for the New Millennium, In: Khan, N. A. (ed.), Indigenous Practices in Bangladesh BARCICK, Dhaka:107-117.
- DoF. (2009). Department of Fisheries. Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries. Government of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh. Dhaka, Bangladesh
- DoF. (2008). Department of Fisheries. Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries. Government of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh. Dhaka, Bangladesh
- DoF. (2005). Fishery Statistical Yearbook of Bangladesh 2004–2005. Department of Fisheries, Government of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh. Dhaka, Bangladesh,
- Ahmed, N. (2009). The Sustainable Livelihoods Approach to the Development of Fish Farming in Rural Bangladesh. Journal of International Farm Management 4 1-18.
- BBS. (2008). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Statistical Year Book of Bangladesh, Statistics Division, Ministry of Planning, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka.
- Paul, H., Antunes, A. P. M., Covington, A. D., Evans, P. and Phillips, P. S. (2013). Bangladeshi Leather Industry: An Overview of Recent Sustainable Developments. Journal of the Society of Leather Technologists and Chemists. 97:25-32.
- DLS. (2009). Department of Livestock Services. Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries. Government of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh. Dhaka, Bangladesh,
- Uddin, M M, Sultana, M N, Ndambi, O A, Hemme, T and Peters K J. (2010). A farm economic analysis in different dairy production systems in Bangladesh. Livestock Research for Rural Development 7: 22
- Uddin M. N., Uddin M. B., Al Mamun M., Hassan M. M. and Khan M. M. H. (2012). Small Scale Dairy Farming for Livelihoods of Rural Farmers: Constraint and Prospect in Bangladesh. Journal of Animal Science. 2: 543-550.
- Nielsen, H., Roos, N., and Hilsted, S.H. (2003). The Impact of Semi-Scavenging Poultry Production on the Consumption of Animal Source Foods by Women and Girls in Bangladesh. The Journal of Nutrition, 133: 4027–4030.
- Sonaiya, E. B. (2007). Family Poultry, Food Security and the Impact of HPAI. World’s Poultry Science Journal 63:132-138
- Prein, M. (2002). Integration of Aquaculture into Crop-Animal Systems in Asia. Agricultural Systems 71: 127-146.
- Karim, M. (2006). The Livelihood Impacts of Fishponds Integrated Within Farming Systems in Mymensingh District, Bangladesh. PhD Thesis.University of Stirling, UK
- Alam, M. R; Ali, M. A, M.; Hossain, A, Molla, M. S. H.and Islam, F. (2003). Integrated Appraoch of Pond Based Farming Systems for Sustainable Production and Income Generation. Bangladesh Journal of Agriculture and Research. 34: 577-584.
- Uddin, M. T and Takeya, Hiroyuki. (2005). Resource Interdependence and Enterprise Combination of Integrated Farming in Some Selected Areas of Bangladesh. Pakistan Journal of Biological Science 3: 8405-412.
- Ugwumba, C., O., A., Okoh, R., N., Ike, P., C., Nnabuife, E., L., C. and E., C., Orji. (2010). Integrated Farming System and its Effect on Farm Cash Income in Awka South Agricultural Zone of Anambra State, Nigeria. American-Eurasian Journal of Agriculture & Environmental Science. 1: 01-06.
- Ahmed, N., Zander, K. K. & Garnett, S. T. (2011). Socioeconomic aspects of rice-fish farming in Bangladesh: opportunities, challenges and production efficiency. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 55:199-219.
- Barmon, B.K, Kondo, T and Osanami, F. (2006). Economic Evaluation of Rice-Prawn Gher Farming System on Soil Fertility for Modern Variety (MV) Paddy Production in Bangladesh. Paper for presentation at the International Association of Agricultural Economists Conference, Gold Coast, Australia, August 12-18
- Uddin, M., N., Miah, M., A., M. and Rahman, M., H. (2004). Farmers’ Perception of Sustainable Agriculture: A Comparative Study Between CARE-beneficiaries and NON-beneficiaries. MS Thesis, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh,.
- Hossain, K., Z., Rayhan, S., J., Arif, M., N. and Rahman, M., M. (2011). Farmers‘ Problem confrontation Towards seed Potato Production. Developing country studies 1: 27-33.
- Alam, M.O and Rashid, M., U. (2010). Problem Confrontation of Costal Youth in Undertaking Selected Agricultural Activities in Two Village Under Bhola District. Bangladesh Research. Publication. Journal. 4: 165-171.
- BBS. (2011). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Monthly Bulletin of Bangladesh Bureau of statistics Ministry of Planning, Government People‘s Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh,
- HIES. (2010). Household Income and Expenditure Survey. Bangladesh Bureau of Statistic. Ministry of Planning, Government of People’s Republic of Bangladesh. Dhaka. Bangladesh
- World Bank. (2007). World Development Report 2008: Agriculture for development. Washington, D.C.: World Bank
- BBS. (2012). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Monthly Bulletin of Bangladesh Bureau of statistics. Ministry of Planning, People’s Republic of Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Sharmin, S, Islam, M. S and Hasan, M. K. (2012). Socioeconomic Analysis of Alternative Farming Systems in Improving Livelihood Security of Small Farmers in Selected Areas of Bangladesh. The Agriculturists 10: 51-63.
- Ahmed, N., Wahab, M. A and Thilsted, S. H. (2007). Integrated Aquaculture-Agriculture Systems in Bangladesh: Potential for Sustainable Livelihoods and Nutritional Security of the Rural Poor. Aquaculture Asia 12: 14-22.
- Ullah A., K and Routhray, J. K. (2007). Rural Poverty Alleviation through NGO Interventions in Bangladesh: how far is the Achievement? International Journal of Social Economics, 34: 237 - 248.
- ADB. (2004). Bangladesh: Gender, Poverty and the Millennium Development Goals. ADB Country Gender Strategy, Bangladesh Resident Mission and Regional and Sustainable Development Department. Manila, Philippines: Asian Development Bank,
- Kabeer, N. (2003). Gender Mainstreaming in Poverty Eradication and the Millennium Development Goals. A handbook for Policymakers and Other Stakeholders. Commonwealth Secretariat, London.