Document Type : Regular articles
Department of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development, Faculty of Agriculture, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, P.M.B. 2346, Sokoto, Nigeria
The study examined agrobiodiversity conservation techniques adopted by rural farmers in Kware Local Government Area, Nigeria. Multistage sampling procedure was used to arrive at 120 farmers from three selected villages. Forty (40) interview schedule were administered in each of the sampled villages. Descriptive statistics was used to analyse the primary data collected. Results of the findings showed that most of the farmers (25.0%) were in their active age with fairly large family size (6-10 persons). Majority were married (90.8%) with most of them having secondary education (33.3%) or less and earning between N101, 000 - N200, 000 annually. Most of the farmers conserve animals using random mating (30.8%). On the other hand, 43.3 percent conserve plants by practicing collection and preservation of seeds. The major challenge faced by the farmers was insufficient capital (43.3%). Government and NGOs need to educate and provided necessary support to the farmers who practice agrobiodiversity conservation.
- Abubakar, B. Z., Ango, A. K. and Buhari, U. (2009). The Role of Mass Media in Disseminating Agricultural information to Farmers in Birnin-Kebbi Local Government Area of Kebbi State: A Case Study of Fadama Development Project; Journal of Agricultural Extension; 13(2): 42-54.
- Akpabio, B. (2005). Rural and Agricultural Sociology. In: Ike Nwachukwu (ed) (2005). Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology. Snaap Press Ltd, Enugu
- Bellon, M. R., Almekinders, C. and Boef, W. (2015). Encouraging Diversity: The Conservation and Development of Plants Genetic Resources, Intermediate Technology Development Group, London, 48.
- Chikare, J. U. (2016). Agrobiodiversity conservation in Owerri, Nigeria, University of technology, Owerri, Nigeria 27th may. Retrieved from http://www.biodiversity.conferenceseries.com/speaker/2016/chikare-jonadab-ubochioma-federal
- Colchester, M. (1994). Challenges in agrobiodiversity Conservation. Retrieved from www.google.com.ng/search?q=agrobiodiversityandclient=msoperamini&channel=new&gws_r=cr&ei=Da4xv965JMnTgAbbto_icg
- David, H. D., Abdurrahman, S., Sani, R. M., Kushwaha, S. and Nasiru, M. (2009). Resource-use efficiency in irrigated crop production by Fadama users in Bauchi State, Nigeria: Implication for food security and poverty alleviation. In Sustaining Agricultural Growth to Meet National Economic Development Goal. Proceedings of the 23rd Annual Conference of the Farm Management Association of Nigeria, FAMAN.
- FAO (2007). Agrobiodiversity: The case for conserving domestic and related animals. FAO Fact sheet on the conservation of domestic animal genetic resources. Available on http://www.fao.org/docrep/v1650t/v1650T0y.html
- Godoy, R. and Contreas, M. (2001). A comparative study of education and tropical deforestation among lowland Bolivian Amerindians: forest values, environmental externality and school subsidies. Economic Development and Cultural Change, 49: 555–574.
- Iment. N and Adebobola, N. (2001). The effects of poverty in conservation of Biodiversity: The Nigeria Experience. Available on http://www.scienceinafrica.co.20
- Mgbado, J. U. (2010): Agricultural Extension: The Human Development Perspective. Computer Edge Publishers Enugu
- Nigeria First National Biodiversity Report, Federal Government of Nigeria, 2001, online at: https://www.cbd.int/doc/world/ng/ng-nr-01-en.pdf, (accessed at 10.04.2014).
- Ojo, A. (2002). Socio-Economic Situation in Africa Atlases (Nigeria), Paris-France, Les Editions J.A., Pp. 126-127.
- Olayiwola, L. M. and Adeleye, O. (2006). Land Reform- Experience from Nigeria. Paper presented at the 5th FIG Regional Conference on Promoting Land Administration and Good Governance, Accra, Ghana, March, 8-11, 2006
- Pimbert, M. P. (1999). Sustaining the Multiple Functions of Agricultural Biodiversity. Gate Keeper Series No 88, 11ED. London
- SSG. (2011). Tourist Attractions in Sokoto State, (eds) by Iliya, M. A., Ladan, U. F., and Idris, B. Published by Sokoto State Government Nigeria.
- Wiley, J., and Sons, F. (1979). Conservation and Agriculture. A Wiley Interscience publication Edited by: Davidson, J., and Lloyd, R, Smith, A. Ltd., Winter stoke Road, Bristol BS32NT.